The Federation of Associations of Small Industries of India(FASII) is a consequence of the visit of the Ford Foundation Team to India in 1953 which emphasised the need for a national apex body for Micro, Small, Village, Cottage and Rural Enterprises. FASII was ushered into existence in the year 1959 under the sponsorship of the Government of India. Padamshree A.R. Bhat, a Gandhian, was instrumental in the edifice of FASII. FASII’s Headquarter in New Delhi was inaugurated by the then President of India Dr. S. Radhakrishnan in the year 1963.
Since 1963 FASII has played an instrumental role by it’s own accord and with the help of Government of India to make contributions for advancement of the MSME Sector in India and pave the roadmap for helping India to be a Global Economic Power :
1. Reservation of products for exclusive manufacture in the Micro and Small enterprises sector.
2. Reservation of products for exclusive purchase from the micro and small enterprises sector .
3. Establishment of Small Industries Development Bank of India.
4. Equal disbursement of scarce raw materials, term loans and working capital to Micro and Small enterprises
5. FASII’s efforts led the Government of India to take notice of the potential of the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises sector to form a new Ministry with the purpose of looking after the same.
6. FASII played a major role in helping to make the Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Act of 2006.
7. Establishment of Credit Guarantee Fund Trust for Micro and Small Enterprises
8. Concession for Micro and Small enterprises on the Excise and other taxation fronts
9. Helped the Government to formulate schemes on Credit, Marketing, Pollution Control, Technology Upgradation, Exports, Women Entrepreneurs, Ancillaries, Industrial Estates, Quality & Standards and so on.